From its first subsidy round, Partners for Water has selected 10 new projects from Dutch companies and research institutes. These innovative projects involve close cooperation with local partners to contribute to water security in countries worldwide.
Knowledge and expertise in new contexts
Partners for Water offers subsidies for innovative solutions for water-related challenges abroad. The selected projects from the first subsidy application round focus on many aspects of water security. These include irrigation, water availability, flood prediction, circular water systems and the use of groundwater buffers. The projects will take place in Colombia, Ecuador, Eswatini, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mexico, Nepal and Suriname.
Ensuring water security
With these projects, people around the world will profit from increased water security. For example:
- Water managers in Eswatini, Mozambique, and South Africa will have access to information, warnings, and advice on current and expected water availability and demand;
- Irrigation projects will reduce water use, improve soil quality, and increase agricultural yields in Ghana, Suriname and Nepal. This will also contribute to improved food security;
- The flood prediction service in Malawi will allow users to monitor and predict floods in real-time and receive warnings up to 12 hours in advance. This information will give people more time to evacuate in the event of a flood; and
- The groundwater buffer and circular water systems in Colombia and Mexico will ensure water availability in dry seasons. In Colombia, these systems will also decrease the salinisation of groundwater.
- Other projects in Kenya and Ecuador will ensure clean water in shrimp ponds and reduce water use in fish farms. This will boost food security and water security.
New Partners for Water projects
|Country||Organisation||Project title||Project type|
|Colombia||Deltares||The use of natural groundwater buffers||Feasibility|
|Ecuador||LG Sonic B.V.||Monitoring and combatting algae||Pilot|
|Eswatini||Water availability forecaster||Pilot|
|Ghana||Bureau M2 B.V.||Smart reuse of wastewater||Feasibility|
|Ghana||Technical University of Delft||Climate-smart irrigation system||Pilot|
|Kenya||Affordable recirculating aquaculture systems||Feasibility|
|Malawi||HaskoningDHV||Flood prediction service||Feasibility|
|Mexico||Circular water systems in cities||Feasibility|
|Nepal||Powerful water pump||Pilot|
|Suriname||Precision irrigation systems||Pilot|
For more information on these projects, see the Partners for Water website.
Apply for the Partners for Water subsidy
Are you active in the water sector? Would you like to use your innovation knowledge, expertise and strength for water security in deltas, delta cities and river basins abroad? Partners for Water will open for a third subsidy application round on 30 June 2023. Find out about the conditions and how to apply on the Partners for Water page.
Partners for Water Programme
Partners for Water aims to foster water security in deltas, delta cities and river basins abroad. Water security means sustainable protection from too much, too little or too dirty water. The Netherlands Enterprise Agency carries out Partners for Water. The programme is commissioned by the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy and the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality.
For more information, visit the Partners for Water page. Would you like to stay informed on these and other development projects? Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter.