Human activities put pressure on natural resources, such as soils, seas and oceans, water, air and biodiversity. Climate change and the growing demand for natural resources create environmental pressures that are not sustainable. The pressure on natural resources affects ecosystems. This impacts the resources available to us.
The Horizon Europe framework programme cluster 6 funds projects that contribute to research and innovative solutions that focus on:
- ecosystem services,
- food systems,
- fishery and aquaculture,
- freshwaters and coastal areas,
- zero pollution,
- circular economy,
- bio-economy and biotechnology,
- green solutions for society, and
- climate change.
Activities under this Cluster will directly support:
- the European Green Deal;
- Paris Agreement; and
- Sustainable Development Goals.
The activities will also help other relevant initiatives in the transition towards a sustainable Europe.
Calls for proposals
The Cluster 6 programme 2021-2022 has several calls for proposals. The programme has 7 goals:
- Biodiversity and ecosystem services;
- Fair, healthy and environmentally-friendly food systems from primary production to consumption;
- Circular economy and bio-economy sectors;
- Clean environment and zero pollution;
- Land, oceans and water for climate action;
- Resilient, inclusive, healthy and sustainable rural, coastal and urban communities; and
- Innovative governance, environmental observations and digital solutions in support of the Green Deal.
The European Commission will publish the calls for proposals throughout the period of 2021 and 2022.
See the European Commission’s Funding and Tender opportunities portal for the calls.
Questions or advice?
The Netherlands Enterprise Agency hosts the National Contact Point (NCP) for Horizon Europe. Contact the Food, bioeconomy, natural resources, agriculture and environment advisors for questions or advice on how to apply for funding and how to develop your project proposal.