New Offshore Wind Energy Roadmap outlines where new wind farms will be built in the North Sea between 2024 and 2030.
In 2013, the Dutch government signed an Energy Agreement with parties involved in the energy market. It was agreed that 5 wind farms should be completed by 2023. Together with the existing wind farms, these should ensure a total installed capacity of 4.5 gigawatts. The new roadmap calls for offshore wind farms worth an additional 7 gigawatts.
Wind farm zones: the tenders
The summary below lists the tenders for wind farm zones that will be built. It also includes the wind farm zones for which tenders will be called in the future.
- 2015: Borssele Wind Farm Zone, Sites I and II: 752 MW.
- 2016: Borssele Wind Farm Zone, Sites III and IV: 731.5 MW.
- 2017: Hollandse Kust (zuid) Wind Farm Zone, Sites I and II: 740 MW.
- 2017: Borssele Wind Farm Zone, Innovation Site V: 19 MW.
- 2018: Hollandse Kust (zuid) Wind Farm Zone Sites III and IV: 700 MW.
- 2019: Hollandse Kust (noord) Wind Farm Zone, Site V: 700 MW
- 2021: Wind Farm Zone Hollandse Kust (west): 1400 MW.
- 2022: Wind Farm Zone Ten Noorden van de Waddeneilanden: 700 MW.
- 2023 – 2026: Wind Farm Zone IJmuiden Ver: 4000 MW.
Existing wind farms in the North Sea
Subsidy and permit applications
The Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO.nl) is executing the offshore wind energy subsidy and permit tenders on behalf of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy. To establish these farms we provide a subsidy if necessary, a permit for building the wind farms, site data of the wind farms and a connection to the electricity network of TenneT. Subsidies and permits for the development of the wind farms will be awarded to the bid that meets all criteria.
- Letter on progress of implementation of Offshore Wind Energy Road Map 2030 (pdf)
- Letter to Parliament about the Offshore Wind Energy Roadmap 2030 (pdf)
- Applicable law (only available in Dutch)
- Offshore Grid TenneT (only available in Dutch)
- Wind and Water Works
- Noordzeeloket (government information on the North Sea)
- NoordzeeWind (about the Egmond aan Zee wind farm)
- Gemini wind farm
In Dutch: Windenergie op zee