On Friday 6 April 2018, Minister Wiebes of Economic Affairs and Climate announced that Two Towers B.V., a consortium of Van Oord Renewable Finance, Investri Offshore and Green Giraffe Holding, won the tender for twinnaar Borssele Wind Farm Site V.
The Borssele Wind Farm Zone consists of 5 sites that will collectively generate 1400 MW of energy by 2020. Of this area, Sites I and II (700 MW) have been awarded to Ørsted Borssele 1 B.V. Sites III and IV (680 MW) have been awarded to Blauwwind II c.v., a consortium of Eneco, Diamond Generating Europe (a 100% subsidiary of Mitsubishi Corporation), Shell and Van Oord. Site V (20 MW) has been specifically designated as an Innovation Site.
Assessment of tenders
The tender for Borssele Wind Farm Site V was open from 2 January 2018 till 18 January 2018. The submitted applications were assessed so that a winner could be chosen. Details of the tender and information on how the applications were ranked can be found in the Ministerial Order for Innovative Offshore Energy (under Downloads below).
The legal term for the assessment of the received applications was 13 weeks. The Netherlands Enterprise Agency strives to assess all applications within 13 weeks.
Borssele Wind Farm Site V, Innovation Site
Of the Borssele Wind Farm Zone, Site V has been designated as an Innovation Site. Borssele Wind Farm Site V is a small site that is mainly situated within Site III of the Borssele Wind Farm Zone. With this Innovation Site the Dutch Government aims to achieve the following:
- to create opportunities for entrepreneurs based in the Netherlands to test and demonstrate advanced technologies (showcases);
- to contribute to wind energy cost reduction;
- to contribute to the Dutch economy: to increase the market and export potential for Dutch companies;
- to increase knowledge in the Netherlands by engaging small and medium-sized enterprises and knowledge institutes in developing the wind farm.
Ministerial Order Borssele Wind Farm Site V
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy published the Ministerial Order for Innovative Offshore Wind Energy in the Government Gazette. The publication of this order is in Dutch. The English translation (pdf) is an unofficial document only provided for your convenience. Rights do not apply here.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy published the 'Consolidated version of the Policy Rule concerning a change to power generation facilities for offshore wind energy' (in Dutch) on 13 December 2017 in the Government Gazette. It is only available in Dutch.
Project and site description
The project and site description (PSD) is designed to help any party with an interest in participating in the planned SDE+ grant and permit tender for the Borssele Wind Farm Site V, Innovation Site (BWFS V) in the Borssele Wind Farm Zone in the Netherlands. This document summarises a description of the site, surroundings and characteristics of BWFS V.
- Project and Site Description Borssele Wind Farm Site V, October 2017 final version;
- Appendix A Legal Framework Borssele Wind Farm Site V;
- Appendix B Summary Environmental Impact Assessment Borssele Sites III, IV and V;
- Appendix C Boundaries and Coordinates Borssele Wind Farm Zone Sites I – V.
Questions and answers
Earlier questions have been answered by the Netherlands Enterprise Agency in the final version of 19 December 2017. This is the translation of the Dutch version of 19 December 2017.