Are you an SME owner and do you have little to no experience with doing business in international markets? Are you willing to invest time and money to expand your activities abroad? If so, the SIB Coaching voucher from the Starters International Business programme (SIB) could be an option for you. This voucher helps you cover the cost of individual assistance and support.
The SIB Coaching voucher is an online voucher that can be used to pay a coach of your choosing from the list of SIB executive organisations (PDF). The SIB Coaching voucher is worth €2,500 (excluding VAT).
The budget for the SIB Coaching voucher is 1,250,000 euros until 1 october 2021. Each quarter, a part of the budget will be made available:
- 1 January 2021 until and including 31 March 2021: 416,667 euros. The budget for this quarter has run out.
- 1 April 2021 until and including 30 June 2021: 416,667 euros. The budget for this quarter has run out.
- 1 July 2021 until and including 30 September 2021: 416,666 euros.
You can apply for a coaching voucher:
- if you are a Dutch SME owner. To check if your business meets the criteria of an SME, use the online English test from the European Commission;
- from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands: Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint Eustatius or Sint Maarten.
SIB Coaching voucher conditions
Each SME can apply for 1 voucher for individual coaching. Your company, your coach and the coach's organisation must meet certain conditions.
Conditions for participants
- Your company is a small or medium-sized enterprise (SME).
- Last year, no more than 25% of all sales were export sales. Or, your business has been registered at the Dutch Chamber of Commerce for less than 5 years.
- Your SME or group/tax entity to which the SME belongs has not used a SIB Coaching voucher before.
- If your company receives de minimis aid or is part of a group or tax entity that receives this aid, the sum of the de minimis aid for this year and the last 2 tax years may not be more than €200,000. There is a different limit for the following sectors:
- Road transport – no more than €100,000.
- Fishery – no more than €30,000.
- Agricultural production – no more than €15,000.
Conditions for executive organisations and coaches
The executive organisation:
- its core business is giving advice to SMEs which offer services or goods abroad;
- must give wide-ranging advice on doing business abroad, and focusses on more than just a country, region, continent or group of countries.
The coach must:
- have at least a higher professional education level of working and thinking;
- have at least 3 years of experience with export activities in a business that is internationally active;
- have at least 3 years of experience advising and coaching SMEs on international business and export.
Over the course of 3 to 5 meetings, the coach will give you tips and tools to start doing business abroad. The process usually takes around 4 months. Together, you will explore the opportunities and risks of doing business abroad. You will work on an action plan for an internationalisation strategy for your company. The process has the following steps:
1. Finding opportunities
First, you and your coach will decide which countries offer good prospects for your company. For this, you will look at your own wishes and goals, along with the specific characteristics of your product/service and company.
2. Market information
Next, you will explore exactly how promising these countries are for your business.
3. Internal investigation
Lastly, you will make a list of what you need to succeed in these countries. This will give you an action plan to start doing business abroad. This is the end of the individual coaching process.
How to apply for a SIB Coaching voucher
Follow these steps to apply for a SIB Coaching voucher:
- Contact the SIB coach (PDF) of your choosing for an introductory meeting. Decide whether you want to start the coaching process together. The SIB coach list is in Dutch. We trust your Dutch colleague to help you with it.
- If you are applying for a voucher from the Netherlands, you will need eHerkenning level 2+. If you do not have this, please first request eHerkenning. It will take a few days before this is processed. If you are applying for the SIB Coaching voucher from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, you do not need eHerkenning.
- Apply for the voucher at mijn.rvo.nl. There are different forms for applications from the Netherlands and those from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom. The application forms are in Dutch. We trust your Dutch colleague to help you with them. Please note: For applications from the Netherlands, choose VIO 2021: Coachingsvoucher in the application form.
After your application
We process complete applications only, and in order of receipt. The date on which you sent the completed application is the date of receipt.
You will receive a notification of our decision within 13 weeks. If we approve your application, you will get an online voucher that is valid for 6 months.
How to report changes
Do you need to make a change to your SIB Coaching voucher? Please let us know.
- If you applied for the voucher from the Netherlands, go to mijn.rvo.nl. Click on the button Beheren and log in with eHerkenning level 2+. You can then make changes to your application. We trust your Dutch colleague to help you with this.
- If you applied for the voucher from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, send an email to email@example.com.
We can only process administrative changes. You cannot change the content of the application. You can cancel your request.
How to transfer the SIB Coaching voucher
When the coaching process is finished, you can give your coach the SIB Coaching voucher.
- If you applied for the voucher from the Netherlands, go to mijn.rvo.nl. Click on the Beheren button and log in with eHerkenning level 2+. Next, go to Overdragen and complete the task Voucheroverdracht. We trust your Dutch colleague to help you with this.
- If you applied for the voucher from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, click on ‘Coachingsvoucher - Caribisch deel van het Koninkrijk overdragen’. Download the form, complete it and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If an intermediary applied for you before 26 June 2020, you can ask the intermediary to transfer the voucher for you as well. To do so, you must first complete and sign a ‘Verklaring overdracht coachingsvoucher’ (Transfer declaration for coaching voucher). Your intermediary must upload this declaration when transferring the voucher. The declaration form is available at mijn.rvo.nl.
How to redeem the SIB Coaching voucher
Once you have given your coach the SIB Coaching voucher, they can redeem it. The coach will get an email once the voucher has been transferred to them. The coach can then redeem the voucher at mijn.rvo.nl.
- If the company applied for the voucher from the Netherlands, start by clicking on the button Beheren. You will need to log in using eHerkenning level 2+. Open the relevant file and select Verzilveren (Use).
- If the company applied for the voucher from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, click on the button ‘Coachingsvoucher - Caribisch deel van het Koninkrijk verzilveren’. You do not have to log in first.
TIP! Make sure to redeem the voucher in time
Advisors must redeem the voucher within 3 months of it being transferred. This period cannot be extended. If you do not redeem the voucher in time, it will expire and you will not be paid the voucher’s value.
Good to know
We carry out random checks on requests to redeem the SIB Coaching voucher. If your request is checked, we will ask you to give us extra information. We will decide on your request within 13 weeks.
After the coaching process has ended, your coach's organisation will send you an invoice. It will include the amount paid using the SIB Coaching voucher and the applicable VAT. In most cases, the invoice will look like this:
|Total including VAT||€3,025|
|Paid by voucher||€2,500|
In this example, you only need to pay the coach €525 of VAT. You will get this VAT back later when you file your VAT return.
The Caribbean part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands does not have a VAT system like the one in the Netherlands. You must pay turnover tax on the services of a local coach. As a general rule, you cannot deduct turnover tax anywhere in this region.