Have you found a country where you feel your product will have the best opportunities? Would you like more help to start doing business abroad? If so, the Market Entry voucher from the Starters International Business programme (SIB) could be an option for you. This voucher helps you pay for the cost of hiring an external expert to help you.
The SIB Market Entry voucher is an online voucher that you can use to pay an advisor of your choosing. Once you have got the final report from your advisor, you transfer the voucher to them. The advisor can then redeem the voucher online. The voucher is worth 50% of the cost, up to a maximum of €2,500 (excluding VAT).
You can apply for a SIB Market Entry voucher:
- if you are a Dutch SME owner and have collected information on a specific foreign market, or
- from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands: Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saba, Sint Eustatius or Sint Maarten.
How to use the SIB Market Entry voucher
You can use the SIB Market Entry voucher to pay for advice from an independent external expert. This means they do not have a business relationship with you. The advisor can help you:
- get introduced to local networks and their experts;
- maintain contacts;
- set up a potential branch location in the target country.
You cannot use the voucher to pay for:
- time spent during the consulting process;
- travel and accommodation costs.
SIB Market Entry voucher conditions
- 1 voucher per applicant for a given target country.
- 1 voucher every 2 years.
The external expert you hire must:
- have at least a higher professional education level of working and thinking;
- have recent, sector-specific experience or knowledge about the aim of the application;
- have a relevant network in the target country;
- work for an organisation that offers services in the target country.
You may hire an external expert who lives abroad and speaks either Dutch or English.
How to apply for a SIB Market Entry voucher
Follow these steps to apply for an SIB Market Entry voucher:
- Look for an advisor who can help you with your question. Ask them for a quotation and a CV. The quotation must specify the services the advisor will provide and the related costs. Once you have received a final quotation, you have 3 months to apply for a voucher.
- If you are applying for a voucher from the Netherlands, you will need eHerkenning level 1. If you do not have this, please first request eHerkenning. It will take a few days before this is processed. If you are applying for the Kickstart voucher from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, you do not need eHerkenning.
- Apply for the voucher at mijn.rvo.nl. There are different forms for applications from the Netherlands and the Caribbean part of the Kingdom. Complete the form, and send it to us with the advisor's quotation and CV. The application forms are in Dutch. We trust your Dutch colleague to help you with them. Please note: For applications from the Netherlands, choose VIO 2021: Voucher Marktentree in the application form.
After your application
We process complete applications only, and in order of receipt. The date on which you sent the completed application is the date of receipt.
You will receive a notification of our decision within 13 weeks. If we approve your application, you will get an online voucher that is valid for 6 months.
You must use the voucher within that period. You can also request to extend the voucher by 6 months. You cannot give your voucher to someone else.
How to report changes
Do you need to make a change to your SIB Market Entry voucher? Please let us know.
- If you applied for the voucher from the Netherlands, go to mijn.rvo.nl. Click on the button Beheren and log in with eHerkenning level 1. You can then make changes to your application. We trust your Dutch colleague to help you with this.
- If you applied for the voucher from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, send an email to email@example.com.
We can only process administrative changes. You cannot change the content of the application. You can cancel your request.
How to transfer the SIB Market Entry voucher
When your advisor’s services are finished, you can give them the SIB Market Entry voucher.
- If you applied for the voucher from the Netherlands, go to mijn.rvo.nl. Click on the Beheren button and log in with eHerkenning level 1. Next, go to Overdragen and complete the task Voucheroverdracht. We trust your Dutch colleague to help you with this.
- If you applied for the voucher from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, click on ‘Voucher marktentree - Caribisch deel van het Koninkrijk overdragen’. Download the form, complete it and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If an intermediary applied for you before 26 June 2020, you can ask the intermediary to transfer the voucher for you as well. To do so, you must first complete and sign a ‘Verklaring overdracht voucher marktentree’ (Transfer declaration for Market Entry voucher). Your intermediary must upload this declaration when transferring the voucher. The declaration form is available at mijn.rvo.nl.
How to redeem the SIB Market Entry voucher
Once you have given your advisor the SIB Market Entry voucher, they can redeem it. The advisor will get an email once the voucher has been transferred to them. Advisors can then redeem the voucher at mijn.rvo.nl.
- If the company applied for the voucher from the Netherlands, start by clicking on the button Beheren. You will need to log in using eHerkenning level 1. Open the relevant file and select Verzilveren (Use).
- If the company applied for the voucher from the Caribbean part of the Kingdom, click on the button ‘Voucher marktentree - Caribisch deel van het Koninkrijk verzilveren’. You do not have to log in first.
TIP! Make sure to redeem the voucher in time
Advisors must redeem the voucher within 3 months of it being transferred. This period cannot be extended. If you do not redeem the voucher in time, it will expire and you will not be paid the voucher’s value.
Good to know
We carry out random checks on requests to redeem the SIB Market Entry voucher. If your request is checked, we will ask you to give us extra information. We will decide on your request within 13 weeks.