Information related to emissions of greenhouse gases, submitted mainly in annual inventories (NIR).
Guidelines for annual inventories under the IPCC
The guidelines for monitoring under the Climate Change Convention and the Kyoto Protocol are based on the monitoring guidelines and reporting formats established by the IPCC, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Under the Kyoto Protocol for the first commitment period (2008-2012) following IPCC guidelines are applicable:
- Revised 1996 Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories
- Good Practice Guidance and Uncertainty Management
- Good Practice Guidance for Land Use, Land Use Change and Forestry
Guidelines for annual inventories under UNFCCC and the Kyoto Protocol
In addition to the IPCC guidelines, the UNFCCC have established guidelines for monitoring and reporting under the Convention. For Parties to the Kyoto Protocol these have been extended, in order to include a set of monitoring and compliance procedures to enforce the Protocol's rules, address any compliance problems, and avoid any error in calculating emissions data and accounting for transactions under the three Kyoto mechanisms (emissions trading, clean development mechanism and joint implementation) and activities related to land use, land use change and forestry (LULUCF).
Articles 5, 7 and 8 of the Kyoto Protocol address reporting and review of information by Annex I Parties under the Protocol, as well as national systems and methodologies for the preparation of greenhouse gas inventories.
- Article 5 commits Annex I Parties to having in place, no later than 2007, national systems for the estimation of greenhouse gas emissions by sources and removals by sinks (Article 5.1). It also states that, where agreed methodologies (that is, the revised 1996 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories are not used to estimate emissions and removals, appropriate "adjustments" should be applied (Article 5.2). Decision 19/CMP.1 describes the:
Guidelines for National Systems
- Article 7 requires Annex I Parties to submit annual greenhouse gas inventories, including supplementary information to demonstrate compliance with the Protocol. In addition to the mentioned IPCC guidelines, the most relevant guidelines are:
Guidelines for Annual Inventories (NIR and CRF) under the Convention
Guidelines for supplementary information under Article 7 of the Kyoto Protocol (to be submitted with the Annual Inventories and the National Communications)
Guidelines for annual inventories under the EU Monitoring Mechanism
Under (Article 3.1) of the EU Monitoring Mechanism Decision, EU Member States shall report annual inventories to the Commission. The reporting requirements are largely similar to those under UNFCCC, meant to enable the Commission to timely prepare the EU community inventory.
The elements to be reported and the guidelines and formats for the reporting are described in the: