One third of the world's population uses dangerous and inefficient cooking systems. More than 700 million people lack access to electricity. 3 out of 4 of them live in Sub-Saharan Africa. We need to speed up the energy improvement rate. We need to make sure that everyone has access to renewable and sustainable energy. This requires investments, successful business models, more capacity, policy and regulations.
What is renewable energy?
Renewable energy is energy that never runs out as it comes from a natural renewable source. Examples are:
- wind and solar energy from windmills and solar panels;
- biomass energy created by burning organic material from plants and animals, including waste wood and trees;
- geothermal electricity creates energy from the heat of the earth's core;
- hydropower is generated from fast-moving water in a river or rapidly descending from a high point such as a dam. The spinning generator's turbine blades convert the force of water into electricity;
- tidal and wave energy from the ocean. Wave power relies on dam-like structures or ocean floor-anchored devices on or below the water's surface.
Get advice on your renewable energy idea
Would you like to be part of the renewable energy solution? Do you have an innovative idea for a sustainable energy project? Consult our advisors, they are happy to help you and offer advice.
Funding for renewable energy projects in developing countries
There are many innovative and sustainable renewable energy projects in developing countries thinkable. Your project could be about clean cooking, connecting a village to a solar electricity grid, or a system that replaces candlelight with prepaid lamps.
Would you also like to provide low-cost, reliable and sustainable energy for people in developing countries? We offer programmes for companies, knowledge institutes, governments and social organisations to set up innovative projects.
Contributing to the SDGs
Renewable energy projects contribute to the following Sustainable Development Goals:
- SDG 7: affordable and clean energy
- SDG 12: responsible consumption and production
- SDG 13: climate action.