Are you an innovative SME entrepreneur working on high-tech Research & Development? Do you work with international partners, or are you planning to do so in the future? Then the Eurostars programme could be a tool for your next project. Eurostars funding contributes to the faster development and growth of your small business.
Amount of funding and budget
Please see the short video on Eurostars by the Eureka Network for an introduction to the programme.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy allocates € 22 million yearly, divided over 2 calls per year.
If you want to receive international Eurostars funding, your project and consortium need to meet the following criteria:
- An innovative SME from a participating country leads the project consortium. Please check the Eureka website for an overview of all Eurostars countries.
- The project consortium exists of at least 2 organisations that are independent of one another.
- The project consortium exists of organisations from at least 2 Eurostars countries with a minimum of 1 organisation from a Eureka full member or partner country.
- The SME budget from the participating countries is 50% or more of the total project cost. This does not include subcontracting.
- No single participant or country handles more than 70% of the project's budget.
- The project duration is 36 months or less.
- The project has an exclusive focus on civil applications.
National funding criterium
- Universities and research institutes can only apply for funding if a Dutch company participates in the consortium.
The funding rates for Eurostars projects are:
- SME: 50%
- Large company: 40%
- University/research institute: 50%
The maximum funding amount is €500,000 per project.
You can only finance Research & Development-related costs with Eurostars funding.
How to apply
A Eurostars application consists of 2 parts. Your proposal has to be approved internationally before you can request national funding.
- The project and consortium meet all the international and national criteria mentioned above.
- You register on the Eureka Project Management Platform and apply as a consortium. Read more about the required documents for a complete application.
- 3 experts will rate your project. Then an independent evaluation panel will draft a ranking list of all proposals. Read more about the international evaluation process on the website of the Eureka network.
- Does your application rank high enough on the ranking list? And are all applicants in the consortium eligible for funding? If so, we will invite you to submit a national application. The call for a national application will be open for about 4 weeks.
The 5th call of the Eurostars-3 programme closed on 14 September 2023, 14:00 CEST.
The 6th call of the Eurostars-3 program opens on 12 January 2024 and closes on 14 March 2024, 14:00 CET.
At this moment you cannot apply for national cofunding. The national call for the 4th Eurostars call was open untill 29 August 2023, 17:00 CEST.
Points of attention
The following aspects need extra attention when you apply for Eurostars funding:
- The conditions for granting and the subsidy amount differ per participating Eurostars country. We strongly advise your partners from other countries to contact their national funding institutes to discuss the conditions that apply to them. You can find the contact information on the Eureka website.
- Proposals the evaluation panel finds eligible for funding do not automatically receive national funding. This allocation depends on the position of the project on the ranking list and the available budget per country.
- National Eurostars funding can only be applied for R&D-related costs. For example, marketing and management costs are not eligible for funding.
The Waste Transformers, an innovative SME from the Netherlands, has received Eurostars funding to support their innovative solution for organic waste. Find out what they do and how Eurostars contributes to reach their goals.
- Watch the video The Eurostars project of the Waste Transformers.
- See which entrepreneurs have gone before you in the Eurostars case studies (in Dutch only).
- At ‘follow innovation’ (in Dutch only), you can see which companies have received financial support through the Eurostars programme.
- You can find all Eurostars projects in the Eureka database.
Eurostars legislation follows the Dutch regulation national subsidies from the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy (in Dutch only).
Eurostars is a European innovation programme, a Eureka network and European Commission initiative. Eurostars provides financial support for projects through national funding of each participating country. The funding amount depends on project activities, the type of partner organisation and the country in which they are established.
Eurostars helps (small) companies to install market-oriented technological development. This development can be in any sector. Eurostars aims to shorten the time-to-market of new technologies and reduce technical risks. Small companies can thereby increase their development and growth rate. Under certain conditions, other organisations can also take part in Eurostars projects.
- Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy