The Connecting Europe Facility for Transport (CEF Transport) is a European Union subsidy scheme. The scheme co-finances and supports investments in the trans-European Network for Transport (TEN-T network). Investments should focus on the completion and modernisation of the TEN-T network. The Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA) manages CEF Transport.
Based on the CEF Transport work programme 2021-2027, CINEA launched the 2021 CEF Transport call for proposals on 16 September 2021. The call for proposals closed on 19 January 2022 at 17:00 CET. The dedicated call for the Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Facility (AFIF) is still open.
To apply, you need written approval from the Member State that will benefit from your project. Your project can involve research, work or both.
Projects that qualify for funding
- Infrastructure projects on the Core and Comprehensive TEN-T (railways, inland waterways, maritime and inland ports, roads, rail-road terminals and multimodal logistics platforms);
- Smart applications for transport (ERTMS, ITS, SESAR, RIS, and so on);
- Transport interoperability;
- Alternative fuel infrastructure, including electricity fast-charging and hydrogen refuelling infrastructure on the TEN-T road network. For recharging points for EVs and HDVs, please check the eligibility using this map (select ‘layers’ then ‘AFIF eligibility maps’);
- Motorways of the sea;
- Multimodal passenger hubs;
- Reduction of rail freight noise;
- Safe and secure parking infrastructure;
- Road safety;
- Improvement of transport infrastructure resilience to climate change and natural disasters, among other things;
- Adaptation of transport infrastructure for external border checks;
- Adaptation of the TEN-T to civilian-defence dual-use.
How to apply for CEF Transport
- The Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management will check your project idea form. If the ministry approves your idea, you will receive a signed form to continue the application process after you have completed your application. Without this signed form, you cannot apply for CEF Transport. We will inform you of the ministries' opinion within 10 days.
- You must give us access to your application in the CINEA submission tool eGrants for us to read.
- You must upload the signed approval form with your application to CINEA.
Cutoff dates AFIF
Submission project idea form
80% version application
|1||1 november 2021||1 december 2022||19 januari 2022|
|2||1 april 2022||1 mei 2022||7 juni 2022|
|3||1 september 2022||1 oktober 2022||10 november 2022|
|4||1 februari 2023||1 maart 2023||13 april 2023|
|5||1 juli 2023||1 augustus 2023||19 september 2023|
Environmental compliance form
Does your project include on-site (physical) interventions that affect protected nature areas or water organisations (bodies)? If so, you need written statements from the responsible authorities in the Netherlands. In most cases, you will need statements from regional authorities.
Please contact these authorities at the earliest stage possible as it may take some time to process your request.
Please contact us for authorities’ names and addresses at email@example.com.