Water security for all
Climate change is causing more extreme weather events, including droughts and floods. Dutch companies and organisations help increase water security for people, plants and animals. They do this via sustainable and innovative solutions. Would you like to contribute to water security in developing countries? Learn more about how we can support you.
Tackling water problems together
Too much, too little and too dirty water seriously affect the water security in vulnerable regions. Currently, 1 in 4 people do not have access to clean drinking water. And almost half of the world's population does not have access to sanitation facilities. With the demand for water increasing, we must change our approach to provide everyone with clean (drinking) water and sanitation facilities.
The Netherlands is committed to realising sustainable water security for all. We contribute by sharing our knowledge and innovations and speeding up digitalisation. Together with partners, the goal is to ensure that by 2030:
- 30 million people have access to clean drinking water;
- 50 million people have access to sanitation facilities;
- We have helped 20 million people by improving river basin management and making deltas safer; and
- Water is used optimally in agriculture.
What does the Netherlands Enterprise Agency do?
We contribute to water security through subsidies and programmes such as Dutch Disaster Risk Reduction and Surge Support (DRRS), Sustainable Water Fund (FDW), Partners for Water PVW-IVWW, Water as Leverage, Reversing the Flow (RtF), MHPSS Surge Mechanism and Ghana Wash Window (GWW). These programmes focus on drinking water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH), integrated water resources management (IWRM), climate change adaptation, and the emergency response to water disasters, among other things.
We support cooperation projects that provide:
- Access to clean drinking water and sanitation facilities;
- Safer deltas and improved water management;
- Support for local implementation;
- Private sector involvement; and
- A sustainable and integrated approach.
How can we support you?
Is your business, NGO or knowledge institute based in the Netherlands? And do you want to contribute to water security for all?
What have our projects achieved?
In our water projects, we work towards different types of results. Here are a few highlights of what some of our projects have achieved up until and including 2022:
For more information on our projects and lessons learnt, see our
Water security projects in practice
Watch our videos on water projects in Kenya and Ethiopia.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Ministry of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy
- Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management