We want to contribute to women's economic empowerment worldwide. We undertake efforts to promote women entrepreneurship, create jobs for women, and improve their working conditions. Around the world, women:
- are more often victims of violence;
- receive less pay for the same work;
- often work in the informal sector;
- more often work under poorer working conditions.
Get advice on your gender equality project idea
Would you like to help increase gender equality around the world? Do you have an excellent idea for a gender equality project? Consult our advisors, they are happy to help you and offer advice.
Funding for gender equality projects
There are many practical projects thinkable. The approach to strengthen women's economic opportunities depends on the context. There are several focus areas for strengthening women’s economic empowerment:
- Involve women and/or local women’s organisations in the stakeholder analysis you perform before a project;
- Draw up and enforce an integrity policy in the context of sexual violence in the workplace;
- Appoint a confidential advisor;
- Make separate toilets for men and women, not too far from the workplace, with sufficient privacy and proper lighting;
- Ensure safe transport to and from work;
- Offer flexible working hours in view of other unpaid work;
- Create a good balance between men and women both at management level and on the work floor; and
- Pay men and women equally for the same work.
Gender equality SDGs
Gender equality projects contribute to the following Sustainable Development Goals:
- SDG 5: gender equality
- SDG 8: decent work and economic growth
- SDG 10: reduced inequalities.
Gender Guide 2021
Women in Business!
The Dutch government is committed to gender equality, women entrepreneurship and more economic independence for women. In our magazine, we share stories from various programmes that we fund. Read about women entrepreneurs in the Netherlands and developing countries, women experts and employees from the Netherlands Enterprise Agency. Read our magazine Women in Business!
Global Gender Gap Report
The World Economic Forum developed a yearly ranking of 153 countries on the progress made towards gender equality in the following areas:
- economic participation and opportunities,
- access to education,
- health, and
- participation in politics.
Gender Equality Index
This index is a ranking of European Union (EU) Member States. The index is based on Eurostat and Eurofound figures. It is a publication from the European Institute for Gender Equality. Download the Gender Equality Index
EQUILEAP report Gender Equality in the Netherlands
The organisation Women Win commissioned Equileap to assess 100 public companies listed in the Netherlands on their gender equality performance. The research is part of the 'Building Bridges for Women's Economic Empowerment' programme. The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs funds this programme. Download the EQUILEAP Gender Equality report
Visit AidData for an overview of projects that we carry out in the field of development cooperation. You can filter by location, sector and programme, among others.
Our monthly Newsletter
To stay informed on our latest news items and top stories from all over the world, subscribe to our monthly Newsletter.