Connecting Europe Facility - CEF Transport
The Connecting Europe Facility for Transport (CEF Transport) is a European Union subsidy scheme. The scheme co-finances and supports investments in the trans-European Network for Transport (TEN-T network). Investments should focus on the completion and modernisation of the TEN-T network. The Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA) manages CEF Transport.
Based on the CEF Transport work programme 2021-2027, CINEA launched the 2022 CEF Transport call for proposals on 13 September 2023. The call for proposals closed on 18 January 2023 at 17:00 CET. The CEF Transport call 2023 is expected to open in late summer.
To apply, you need written approval from the Member State that will benefit from your project. Your project can involve research, work or both.
Projects that qualify for funding
The call for proposals is for:
- Infrastructure projects on the Core and Comprehensive TEN-T (railways, inland waterways, maritime and inland ports, roads, rail-road terminals and multimodal logistics platforms);
- Smart applications for transport (ERTMS, ITS, SESAR, RIS, and so on);
- Transport interoperability;
- Alternative fuel infrastructure, including electricity fast-charging and hydrogen refuelling infrastructure on the TEN-T road network. For recharging points for EVs and HDVs, please check the eligibility using the map (select ‘layers’ then ‘AFIF eligibility maps’);
- Motorways of the sea;
- Multimodal passenger hubs;
- Reduction of rail freight noise;
- Safe and secure parking infrastructure;
- Road safety;
- Improvement of transport infrastructure resilience to climate change and natural disasters, among other things;
- Adaptation of transport infrastructure for external border checks;
- Adaptation of the TEN-T to civilian-defence dual-use.
How to apply for CEF Transport
Contact the Netherlands Enterprise Agency to submit a project idea form.
Alternative Fuels Infrastructure facility (AFIF)
The objective of the Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Facility (AFIF) call for proposal is to support the deployment of alternative fuel supply infrastructure, contributing to decarbonising transport along the TEN-T network.
With a total budget of €1.5 billion, the AFIF funds actions by the combination of CEF grants with financial support from financial institutions. It is implemented through a rolling call for proposals which was launched on 16 September 2021, with five cut-off dates for the submission of proposals until the end of 2023.
|Cutoff dates||Submisson project idea form||80% version application||Final submission|
|1||1 November 2021||1 December 2022||19 January 2022|
|2||1 April 2022||1 May 2022||7 June 2022|
|3||1 September 2022||1 October 2022||10 November 2022|
|4||1 February 2023||1 March 2023||13 April 2023|
|5||19 August 2023||19 September 2023||7 November 2023|
In line with the Action Plan on Military Mobility 2.0, this call aims to co-fund projects that adjust sections of the TEN-T network to meet both civilian and defence needs.
The Military Mobility call supports projects concerning studies, works or mixed projects (covering both studies and works) for all transport modes. Projects must be located on the TEN-T and the EU military transport network and must take into account the infrastructure requirements applicable to certain categories of dual-use infrastructure projects, as set out in the Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2021/1328.
|Submission project idea form||80% version application||Complete version||Final submission|
|3 July 2023||28 August 2023||11 September 2023||21 September 2023|
Environmental compliance form
Does your project include on-site (physical) interventions that affect protected nature areas or water organisations (bodies)? If so, you need written statements from the responsible authorities in the Netherlands. In most cases, you will need statements from regional authorities.
Please contact these authorities at the earliest stage possible as it may take some time to process your request.
Please contact us for authorities’ names and addresses at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management