Food security for all
Climate change, pandemics, war, and unofficial migration have serious consequences for food security in vulnerable regions. These issues and the growing world population mean we need different ways of producing and distributing food. The Netherlands is a market leader in agriculture, farming and new ways of producing food. Dutch companies and organisations help increase food security with sustainable and creative solutions. Would you like to contribute to food security in developing countries? Learn more about how we can support you.
Fighting hunger together
Currently, 805 million people suffer from hunger and malnutrition. That is 1 in 9 people. The Netherlands is committed to food security and focuses on sustainable local agriculture on a small scale. We do this through innovation, education and improvement of land rights, especially for women. Together with partners, the goal is to ensure that by 2030:
- 32 million vulnerable people no longer suffer from malnutrition;
- The income and productivity of 8 million small-scale food producers have doubled; and
- 8 million hectares of land is managed sustainably.
What does the Netherlands Enterprise Agency do?
We contribute to food security through subsidies and programmes such as the SDG Partnership Facility (SDGP), Facility for Sustainable Entrepreneurship and Food Security (FDOV), G4AW and LAND-at-scale. These programmes focus on food security, private sector development, land rights, digital technology and climate change adaptation. We fund public-private partnership projects that:
- Increase the resilience of local food systems;
- Ensure sustainable management of land and water;
- Increase biodiversity;
- Support local value chains; and
- Improve land rights (especially for women), enabling people to take out loans to invest in their land.
How can we support you?
Is your business, NGO or knowledge institute based in the Netherlands? And would you like to contribute to food security for all? Our advisors can help with your plans. They provide information and help you find partners in the Netherlands and your project country.
- Contact our advisors for advice on your project.
- Visit AidData for an overview of projects we carry out in development cooperation.
- Find the right partner for your project.
- Join the 'Partners in Sustainable Development' community
- Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter to stay informed on our latest news and top stories from all over the world.
What have our projects achieved?
Here are a few highlights of what our projects have achieved up until and including 2022:
For more information on our projects and lessons learnt, see our:
Food security projects in practice
Watch our videos on 10 years of FDOV and one of our projects in Tanzania.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs